8 Best Shopify Email Marketing Apps & Platforms in 2020
Looking for the best Shopify email marketing apps?
If you’re having trouble finding the right one for your needs, we’re here to help!
There are so many email marketing apps available, and many of them are quite similar in both features and prices.
In such a sea of sameness, how do you find the right one?
Start here, because we’ve analysed the most popular and best rated Shopify apps to bring you our top picks of free and paid solutions in this guide.
Whether you’re just starting out with a campaign, or looking to take your entire email marketing strategy up to the next level, there’s a tool to suit your needs.
What types of emails to include in your Shopify email marketing strategy
Let’s start by looking at the various types of emails you must include in your strategy.
Firstly, because knowing this upfront could affect your choice of app. Secondly, because you might find the inspiration to add a few more to your email marketing plans.
It’s important that you know what kind of emails you need to cater for in order to narrow down your search.
Operational and Transactional Emails
These are all those important emails that are usually sent to the customer upon a certain action such as signing up, completing their profile, ordering products, checking their billing details and so on.
A warm welcome email does wonders for creating that very first connection moment, but don’t let the magic fade during the rest of the on-boarding process.
Each email should be well thought out, so craft your newsletter copy well, and be considerate when it comes to the timing and frequency of these emails.
- Onboarding emails: welcome emails, account setup, profile personalisation
- Billing, terms and conditions, or privacy and data agreements
- Password confirmations
- Receipts and statements
- Shipping notifications
Looking for some inspiration?
Back in 1997, CDBaby started out as an online distributor of music by independent artists. In an effort to differentiate his company communications at some point, founder Derek Sivers sat down and unknowingly wrote one of the most legendary shipping emails in digital marketing history. This creative piece of copy received over 20,000 citations!
Here’s what the email said:
Birthdays, membership anniversaries or even seasonal discounts create a level of personalisation that is not too intrusive while contributing to your retention strategy.
Remember, you can also offer your customers a little discount when you reach a certain milestone in your business for example: company birthdays, reaching a certain membership or subscriber number milestone, and so on.
- Birthday wishes + a coupon or voucher
- Membership anniversaries
- Seasonal or achievement-based rewards
This is where you can really have some fun, especially if you have an editorial streak and can offer great content and curated products for certain customers.
Retention emails are important because engaging with existing customers is much cheaper than approaching new customers. In fact, it’s 5x cheaper!
You can also send out important surveys to gather information about customer satisfaction, product reviews, demographic details, and other important customer information.
We recommend making use of audience segmentation tools or even a persona generator to take a deeper dive into understanding your customers.
Re-activation emails are a great way to connect with inactive customers who might’ve signed up at one point but didn’t make any purchases in a while (or at all). You can offer to assist them with setting up a full profile, ask if they’re still interested, or offer them a voucher to make that first purchase a little sweeter.
“80% of retail professionals indicate that email marketing is their greatest driver of customer retention.”WordStream.com
Here are a few types of retention emails that can be found on advanced Shopify email marketing strategies.
- Seasonal offers
- Special curations
- Sales announcements
- How-to product guides
- Re-engagement emails
- Cart abandonment emails
The 3 Best Shopify Email Marketing Platforms
1.Klaviyo Marketing Automation+Shopify app ( Most Recommended)
Klaviyo is a really powerful email marketing and automation tool which offers a 360-degree view of customers and a full suite of features. This is one of the best free email marketing apps on Shopify.
With Klaviyo, you can segment and analyse your customers, improve your personalisation, automate certain messages, and increase your ROI.
- A free tier with unlimited A/B testing.
- Powerful data and analytics.
- Integrates with Facebook and Instagram advertising.
- ROI-based tracking and reporting.
- Integrates with other major ecommerce platforms.
- The free tier only allows for a maximum of 500 emails and up to 250 contacts, charges apply on top of this.
- The pricing for additional charges is not provided up front on their website.
- Less than perfect customer service so be prepared to wait a while for a response.
- Many reviewers noted that sometimes their campaigns took 24-hrs to review by Klaviyo – so keep this mind and set up your campaigns early.
Best for: Intermediate to advanced users who are looking for a free marketing tool with more to offer. A good option if you’re looking for a Mailchimp alternative.
Pricing: Free for up to 500 emails and 250 contacts
Shopify app store rating: 4.4/5 based on 788 reviews
ActiveCampaign offers a very powerful marketing automation platform, and its Shopify integration makes it even easier to sync your customers between your Shopify and ActiveCampaign accounts.
Although ActiveCampaign excels in email marketing, it does not stop there. It offers you a home for all your digital marketing activities. From smart paid advertising to SMS and much more.
- Great segmentation capabilities with the ability to sync customers to different lists.
- Powerful, easy-to-use automation builders- Their flagship feature in our opinion.
- Great customer support.
- The Best Email Deliverability in the market.
- Easy to switch from another email platform due to their free migration service
- The email editor functionality is quite limited.
- A steep learning curve, especially in the workflow setup.
- The price difference between packages is quite high.
Best for: Marketers who are looking for an intelligent email marketing automation system. Pricing: Lite: $9, Plus: $49, Professional: $129, Enterprise: $22
Omnisend was built for e-commerce from day one. Therefore, it integrates with almost all of the e-commerce tools you might be using (other than Shopify). It has tailored its suite of features to ensure your Shopify business has what it needs to grow. And similar to ActiveCampaign, Omnisend has more than just email capabilities. It supports SMS marketing and will enhance your paid advertisement activities by using the data from your store.
The thing we like the most about Omnisend is the forms. Omnisend makes it extremely easy for e-commerce businesses to collect new emails. Omnisend competes with all the enterprise-level email platforms for an affordable price.
- Drag & drop email editor.
- Easy to use forms & popups builder.
- Powerful Segmentation tools.
- Dozens of integrations with other e-commerce tools.
- Very affordable for its capabilities/ value for money.
- Great reporting.
- It takes a bit of time to learn the system.
- Only a few email templates to choose from.
Best for: Marketers that want more than email marketing capabilities. Pricing: Free for up to 15,000 emails a month, Standard: $16/month, Pro: $99/month
The 5 Best Shopify Apps for Your Email Marketing Strategy
Shogun Landing Page Builder is one of the most highly rated apps on Shopify. They’re a Shopify Plus partner, meaning that they’re among the best in class as far as app integration services go. No coding is required and there are customisable pre-made templates available.
- International support team.
- Analytics dashboard included.
- Great SEO features.
- Scheduled publishing.
- Able to manage multiple stores.
- Integrates with other major ecommerce platforms.
Some reviewers noted a limitation on the mobile and tablet templates which means you might require a little coding help if you want to create something more unique for mobile users.
Best for: Building and optimising beautiful, high-conversion landing pages for multiple stores.
Price: Build option: $39 p/month , Optimise option: $199 p/month
Trial: 10-day free trial
Shopify app store rating: 4.9/5 based on 1838 reviews
The name says it all. This is a great app for sending out those milestone emails for birthdays. You can capture birthdays via Shopify POS, create a birthday email, customise and automate the send.
- Great for customer loyalty and retention.
- An easy to use interface.
- The app integrates with many other service providers such as Mailchimp and Omnisend.
Cons: This app scores 5 stars on the Shopify app store, and so far we haven’t picked up a single con!
Best for: Customer retention with milestone emails.
Price: $10 p/month
Trial: 30-day free trial
Shopify app store rating: 5/5 based on 101 reviews
Are you facing challenges when it comes to converting visitors into customers? Then we recommend trying OptinMate. This app allows you to create pop-ups, slide-ins and sticky bars to engage visitors before they consider shopping elsewhere.
These pop-ups can be triggered by certain behaviours such as on-exit intent, on-click, and so on – all without needing to code anything. The tiered plans are great for a growing business so that you can upgrade as you expand.
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Affordable entry-level plan.
- Customisable time delays for popups.
- Realtime analytics.
- Affordable entry-level tier.
- A/B split testing.
- Integrates with Mailchimp.
- Less than stellar customer support, but it appears that they are improving.
- Some reviewers encountered buggy pop-ups that were difficult to troubleshoot.
Best for: Converting visitors into customers just when they show intent to leave your site.
Price: Lite plan: $3.99, Pro plan: $17.99, Concierge plan: $74.99 p/month
Trial: 7-Day free trial
Shopify app store rating: 4.9/5 based on 211 reviews
Spin-a-Sale offers a refreshing take on the subscriber pop-up for something really fun and interactive. The pop-up offers visitors a chance to enter their email address and when the wheel spins, they have a chance of winning a prize – just like a nostalgic TV game show!
What’s great about this email marketing app is that it really delivers when it comes to increasing your sign-up rate. It is fully customisable, giving you full control over the prizes so that you can offer more than just discounts.
- Fun and interactive.
- User-friendly and quick to set up.
- Proven results from hundreds of customers.
- Customisable features.
- The cheapest plan doesn’t offer unique customer discounts so these can potentially be abused.
- The price jump from the Pro to Premium plan can become a barrier to upgrading for better features.
Best for: Customer retention and growing your email sign up list.
Pricing: Pro Plan: $9.99 p/month, Premium Plan: $24.99 p/month
Trial: 10-day free trial
Shopify app store rating: 4.9/5 based on 1096 reviews
Working on your email marketing strategy? You might want to check out our guide to 10 Best Cold Email Software for 2020.
Abandonment Protector is a great tool for keeping up customer engagement and preventing cart abandonment with a range of clever pop-ups. You can use this app to re-engage your customers at the first sign of them intending to leave the checkout process.
And there’s so much more to offer! Abandonment Protector will help you take care of operational and transactional emails, as well as newsletter and other retention email sequences.
- Easy to use (drag and drop editing).
- Many pre-made templates on offer.
- Full email automation.
- Proven improvement in abandonment recovery rates.
- No subscriber limit on their basic plan.
- Inconsistent quality when it comes to customer support, however this looks to be improving
- The basic plan only allows a maximum of 3,000 emails so if you have a larger requirement additional charges will be applied
Best for: Managing all your email communication in one place and improving your cart abandonment and customer retention rates.
Pricing: Basic Plan: $8 p/month
Trial: 30-day free trial
Shopify app store rating: 4.8/5 based on 248 reviews
“The overall average open rate for basket abandonment emails is 40.14%, with a click through rate of 28.64%.”SaleCycle.com
When it comes to choosing the right tool for your Shopify email marketing strategy, it’s important to first outline exactly what your needs and objectives are, and then decide on what features you’re looking for.
Don’t forget to check if you’re using all the features available to you on other apps or software that you have already purchased.
Reading reviews is a great way to get a general sense of what other marketers and Shopify merchants experienced with the app. However, we highly recommend that you put in the effort to really make use of the free trials in order to find the perfect match.
And remember: some tools are great at doing just one thing really well, while others can offer a large suite of average features. Pick your apps for what they do really well!
Our top picks:
For small businesses: Klaviyo for its generous free tier and wide range of features.
For enterprise businesses: Shogun for building high quality landing pages at scale.
35 Face-Melting Email Marketing Stats: https://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2017/06/29/email-marketing-statistics
18 Essential Email Marketing Statistics (2020 Edition): https://www.salecycle.com/blog/featured/18-essential-email-marketing-statistics/
How CDBaby Built 20,000 Citations With One E-Mail: https://searchengineland.com/how-cdbaby-built-20000-citations-with-one-e-mail-84357
The 10 Best Shopify Email Marketing Apps: https://shopthemedetector.com/blog/email-marketing-apps/