Blasting Text: The Easy Guide to Launching Successful SMS campaigns [2021 Update]
When it comes to SMS blasting, there’s a thin line between skyrocketing your engagement and sales and getting your prospects annoyed by your brand. Bombarding your prospects will hinder your brand reputation.
While most marketers out there know about blasting text messages to generate revenue, not many of them do it, and those who do it, don’t do it right.
But truth is, SMS marketing can work wonders for your business-The click-through rate (CTR) for SMSes is 9.18% higher than any other digital communication channel. That’s not so shocking if you know that 64% of consumers want businesses to leverage SMS marketing more often.
We will also be bold and claim that SMS marketing is the holy grail of brand-to-consumer communication.
If we were able to intrigue you enough to try it out, this article will shed light on everything you need to know to launch a successful SMS campaign. From Growing your SMS list to generating SMS revenue.
What is Blasting SMS Marketing?
A blasting text is a text message sent to a large group of receivers at the same time. Businesses use blasting text marketing to inform customers about sales and promotions.
The primary aim of blasting text marketing is to create a solid line of communication between businesses and their customers.
Most retail stores use blasting text marketing to share promotional content with their consumers. Several other industries use this form of marketing too. For example, numerous jurisdictions use blasting texts to inform residents about community threats or emergencies.
Why Use Blasting SMS Marketing?
Businesses should use SMS blasting because SMS open rates are higher than emails, and SMSes are a direct communication route to their consumers.
Plus, SMS marketing proves that your brand is mobile adaptive while not costing you an arm and a leg. Let’s inspect why SMS blasting is one of the best forms of communication.
SMS Open Rates Are High
If you think email open rates are high (18%), think again. The average open rate for SMS marketing campaigns is 98%, which completely blows email marketing campaigns out of the park. Businesses can rest easy knowing their return on investment (ROI) will be much more than what they invested in blasting text marketing.
While 90% of consumers read an SMS within 3 minutes of receiving it, 45% of emails are sent to the spam folder. SMS open rates aren’t higher than only emails. SMS Comparison confirms that consumers are more likely to open texts over any other messaging medium.
Immediate and Direct Marketing Channel
As almost 5 million people own mobile phones worldwide and 82% of consumers open every text they receive, blasting text marketing is a direct way to communicate with your customers. 46% of people spend 5-6 hours on their phones daily, proving that using blasting texts as a marketing channel is worth the time and investment.
Plus, 80% of Americans have to check their phones first thing in the morning. All these statistics boil down to one thing: if your business uses blasting text marketing, your consumers will undoubtedly see your marketing material. And not only will they eventually see your material, but the interaction will be immediate.
Mobile-friendly Marketing Method
By using blasting text marketing, you’re proving that your business is mobile-adaptive. And guess what?! Consumers want a mobile-adaptive business that can communicate with them through mobile-friendly methods.
Among app notifications, email marketing, and direct mail, 48% of consumers prefer SMS communication. The same report confirms that 83% of US teens prefer text communication more than ANY kind of communication, including social media.
But here’s the thing, why do consumers prefer SMS marketing so much more than other marketing mediums? It’s simply because consumers are always on their phones, and they want mobile-friendly marketing efforts to accommodate that.
Cost-effective Marketing Channel
The most it may cost to run an SMS marketing campaign is around $500 per month. And that’s assuming you’ve chosen a plan with all the bells and whistles. However, for an email marketing campaign, your costs can quickly skyrocket to $1000 per month.
SMS marketing is also a lot cheaper than social media marketing. The industry average for the cost of social media marketing ranges from around $4000 to $7000 per month. Essentially, your businesses can save a lot of money by using blasting text marketing, and it may be much easier to reach your desired ROI.
How to Grow Your SMS List
If you want your SMS marketing campaign to generate profit, grow your SMS list constantly.
At first, this might be a hassle, and you’ll find mediums that don’t work for you and some that do. To give you a head start, here 15 ways to grow your SMS blasting list.
- Use an incentive your consumers can’t decline: To optimize your SMS blasting list, offer your audience an irresistible reward for joining. You can do this through discounts, freebies, or coupons. Your reward must be something valuable to your audience for them to act on it. Without an irresistible incentive, your audience might not be that encouraged to join your SMS list.
- Add an SMS sign-up option on your checkout page: Catch your audience right before they check out through an SMS opt-in feature on your checkout page. Include information about what customers can expect from signing up to your SMS list. Give your consumers some assurance too. For example, you can mention that they will receive the latest promotions and exclusive deals, but you won’t hand out their information to a third-party organization.
- Make use of your website to promote your SMS list: Your website is the hub to interact with your audience. Use popups, slide-ins, or footer ads to promote your SMS list.
- Start a referral program: In case you don’t know, referrals make up 65% of businesses’ new purchases, and these leads have a 30% higher conversion rate than leads from any other marketing channel. Create a foolproof referral marketing strategy and start racking up leads for your SMS list.
- Start a loyalty program: Loyalty programs are just as effective as referral programs. Create a loyalty program for consumers to sign up to your SMS list and earn an insane amount of points. You can continue to send these consumers loyalty rewards for them to redeem at your businesses, which will keep them returning.
- Find out what your consumers want: Understanding your audience is imperative to design an incentive they’ll enjoy. Doing this will also give you a better idea of the marketing tactics they prefer. Use a survey or quiz to determine what your audience is looking for.
- Promote your SMS list through live events: As social gatherings aren’t an occurrence anymore, host live events for your audience. Use presentations to inform them about your brand and interact with your audience to keep them engaged. You can even ask an industry expert to show face at your live event to prove your brand’s credibility.
- Leverage your existing marketing methods: Now is the time to use all your marketing channels. Promote your SMS list through engaging emails and social media content to interest consumers. Be sure to send your marketing material during times that your audience will see it.
- Ensure your Call-to-Action (CTA) is clear: How could your audience take your desired action if they don’t know what it is? Be clear about what action you want your audience to take, and make your CTA easily accessible. Also, ensure your terms and conditions are straightforward and visible.
- Create urgency around your CTA: People are more likely to act on an offer when there’s urgency around it. Offer the first 10 or 20 people an exclusive offer for joining your SMS list, or use a countdown timer to encourage your consumers.
- Offer your audience exclusive deals: Consumers want what other consumers don’t have. So, offer consumers who join your SMS list a VIP or exclusive deal. Ensure this deal is worthwhile for your consumers.
- Ensure your marketing methods are personalized: Any marketing expert will tell you that personalization is paramount to any form of marketing. Approach your audience using their language. Highlight the problems your ideal buyer faces and how your brand can solve those problems. The more you understand your audience, the easier it will be to personalize your marketing efforts.
- Start a contest: Whether you host a social media contest or run a contest through your website, it’s a fantastic way to gain leads for your SMS list. Incorporate urgency and an irresistible incentive in your contest.
- Use traditional, in-person methods: Hand out business cards to prospective consumers and use word-of-mouth to promote your brand and SMS list.
- Segment your audience: Segment your audience based on their preferences and use personalized marketing methods for each group. Not only does this make effective marketing easier, but you can gain a better understanding of what different groups of your consumers want.
How We Evaluate SMS Marketing Software and How You Should Pick One
Most SMS marketing software offers month-to-month subscriptions, but you’re still committing to one software. Remember, this software will house your consumer’s data and your business’s progress. To avoid switching software, use the 10 tips below to choose the best SMS marketing software.
- Is the SMS software easy to use? If possible, ask the SMS software vendor for a demo to gauge whether the software is intuitive. You want a platform with a direct user interface that allows you to find the information and features you need.
- Can you integrate other platforms into the SMS software? You might want to integrate your email marketing software or any other tool with your SMS software. To ensure you can do this, choose an SMS software with effortless native integration options.
- Does the SMS platform offer speedy support? If anything goes haywire, you need to know that you can rely on efficient account support. An ideal SMS software will have quick, 24/7 responses.
- Does the SMS software offer your consumers easy sign-up? If you consumers find a lot of friction when signing up, they might not complete this process. Avoid this by testing the sign-up process yourself and choosing an SMS software with a lot of flexibility in sign-up. You also want an SMS platform that collects sufficient demographic information at the sign-up stage.
- Using the SMS software, is tracking and reporting seamless? Your SMS software must offer easy tracking and reporting. You should view your performance clearly, and ideally, your SMS software will have real-time analytics.
- Does the SMS software have reliable data security? Through SMS marketing, you will collect sensitive personal and contact information from your consumers. The SMS platform you choose must support PCI 1 level security, which is the same security for processing credit card payments. Conduct a security audit of your own to ensure the SMS platform has sufficient data security.
- What other companies have the SMS platform worked with? To trust the reliability and effectiveness of an SMS platform, you need to check the vendor’s portfolio. Choose an SMS software that has worked with companies similar to yours.
- Will the SMS software accommodate company growth? Not only do you want an SMS software that will scale your company, but its functions should also be relevant in the long haul. You don’t want to chop and change SMS software, so choose one with sufficient features.
- Does the SMS software follow compliance regulations? The SMS software you choose must follow legal regulations regarding data security and storing personal information. Ask the SMS software’s vendor if the software follows CTIA compliance.
- Can you comfortably afford the SMS software? Don’t choose software that you don’t think you could afford, as this could overturn your profit and expenses ratio.
7 Steps to Launch a Successful Text Blasting Campaign
With the right direction from the get-go, launching a successful text blasting campaign can be much easier. You need to be strategic, and most of all; you need to have a customer-centric approach.
These are the 7 steps you need to follow for a text blasting campaign that generates high conversion rates.
Define Your Business Objective
Before launching your text blasting campaign, you need to be clear about your business’s aim. Starting with this makes it easier to direct your text blasting campaign, identify your ideal buyers and brainstorm a CTA.
For starters, choose one primary objective you want to achieve from your text blasting campaign. For example, multiplying your sales, raising brand awareness, or securing loyal consumers.
When choosing your goal, ensure it’s SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-bound). Communicate your goals to your entire team, so you are all working in the same direction.
Establish Your Audience
Be clear about the type of consumer you’re hoping to add to your SMS list. Be specific about this to determine which marketing methods to use. If you have various ideal buyers in mind, segment your audience and use the appropriate marketing methods for each group.
Establishing your audience will be simple through understanding them. Use surveys and quizzes to broaden your understanding of what your consumers want from your business. This will help you establish your audience and increase customer appreciation too.
Choose the Best SMS Marketing Software for Your Business
After establishing your audience, you need to choose the SMS marketing software for your text blasting campaign. Choosing the best SMS marketing software can be tricky, so refer to our list above on how to evaluate SMS marketing software for your business.
Create an Encouraging CTA
Brainstorm an exciting CTA that’s ought to persuade your audience to join your SMS list. Your CTA should be clear, concise, and engaging. Use bold, large text as your CTA and place it on a visible section of your website. You can also promote your CTA through social media.
Create Short but Sweet Text Messages
For the text message content for your text blasting campaign, ensure your content is flawless. If content writing is not your area of expertise, you can hire freelance content writers to get this done for you.
If you decide to curate your own text messages, ensure they are concise and to the point. Your text messages must also be captivating and include a clear CTA. To get through to your audience, you can include slang words and emojis too.
Develop a Schedule for Sending Text Messages
The time you send your text messages is vital as you need your recipients to see them. Send messages before 9 am and after 9 pm, as most consumers don’t work during those times. Run a few tests to determine the best time to send your text messages.
Track and Analyze your SMS Marketing
Tracking and analyzing your text blasting campaign is essential to ensure you’re accomplishing your aim. Track vital metrics to determine whether you need to ramp up your marketing efforts or if you’re on the right track.
Here are a Few Metrics to Track for a Text Blasting Campaign:
- Subscriber growth rate: This is how many subscribers you’re gaining for your SMS list. Track this rate weekly and identify which marketing efforts are accelerating your subscriber growth rate.
- Subscriber churn rate: This rate describes how many subscribers are opting out of your text blasting campaign. You should keep your churn rate below 2%-3%.
- Redemption rate: This metric is how many consumers redeem your offers. If this rate is low, consider changing your incentive.
- Cost per redeeming rate: How much does it cost per customer that redeems your offers? Determining this will help you reveal your profitability.
- CTR: Your CTR describes how many consumers click on the link in your text messages to get to your desired action.
- Conversion rate: Your conversion rate is how many consumers not only click on your text message but complete your desire action.
4 Best SMS Marketing Software
You know how to launch a blasting text campaign and how to choose the best SMS marketing software for your business. So, let’s review the top 4 SMS marketing software available.
MobileMonkey is all about dynamic, engaging mobile chatbots and helps agencies, in-house marketers, brands, and influencers develop a successful blasting SMS campaign. This SMS software allows you to market through Facebook Messenger, Instagram, web chat, SMS, omnichat, and Agency.
B2C businesses can use MobileMonkey’s advanced SMBots to provide their consumers with 24/7, live support. And the Instagram features enable automatic responses to customer queries and tools that reward users for interacting with your brand. Plus, MobileMonkey’s own chatbot-OmniChat offers a multi-platform chatbot builder, instant communication, and a unified chat inbox.
- Pricing is not readily exposed, create an account with MobileMonkey for a quote.
SimpleTexting offers an intuitive dashboard with everything you need right at your fingertips. You can send personalized blasting texts with pictures and other media forms. Businesses can also track CTR’s, subscriber rates, and delivery rates. SimpleTexting allows you to segment consumers, schedule texts, and create autoresponders too.
You can also create automated birthday messages, recurring campaigns, extended texts, and tiny links. Many popular brands like Starbucks, SAMSUNG, and Lego land have all used SimpleTexting.
- From $25 p/m for 500 text messages
As an SMS marketing software ideal for experienced marketers, ClickSend offers robust features for blasting SMS campaigns. Users enjoy real-time tracking with the ability to send 4800 messages per minute and draft text messages for up to 1224 characters. You can send customized messages to any country, and ClickSend handles all your opt-outs.
ClickSend offers 24/7 customer support, and you can set reminders and schedule automated text messages too. You can also add security features like 2-step verification and one-time passwords.
- And more!
- For under 2000 messages, the pricing starts at $0.0206 per text.
TextMagic allows brands to send texts online, convert texts to emails and schedule messages. It’s also possible to manage your opt-outs, use SMS templates, personalize text messages and create SMS surveys. You can export valuable data too, like your CTR rates, conversion rates, and delivery rates.
This SMS marketing software has worked with clients of all kinds like QiQ, MaidPro, SDL, and Fylde Property. TextMagic also has two-factor authentication and a carrier lookup function for your text blasting campaign.
- MMS, text messages and carrier lookup in the US is $0.040 per MMS, text, and lookup.
Blasting text marketing is a fantastic medium to communicate with your consumers. Not only do consumers want brands to message them more, but texts have higher open rates than emails. And most people check every single one of their texts!
Choosing the best SMS marketing software for your text blasting campaign and growing your SMS list is effortless through this guide. You have all the information to launch a victorious text blasting campaign and 4 of the best SMS marketing software to pick from.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a text blast?
Text blasting is when businesses send a large mass of recipients a text at the same time. While retail industries mostly use text blasting to send their consumers promotions and sales information, other industries use text blasting too. Read this article to find out why text blasting works, how to launch a blasting SMS campaign, and the top four SMS marketing software for text blasting.
What are the top text blasting services?
The top four text blasting services of 2021 are MobileMonkey, SimpleTexting, ClickSend, and TextMagic. Read this article to find out why these platforms are the best SMS blasting services in 2021, and how to choose the best platform for your business.
How do you start a blasting SMS campaign?
To start a blasting SMS campaign, you need to define your objectives. Then you need to establish your audience, brainstorm a captivating CTA and develop your text content. To find out more about launching a successful blasting SMS campaign, how to choose the best SMS marketing software, and the top SMS marketing software for 2021, read this article.
References and Sources
- Techjury: 35+ Must-Know SMS Marketing Statistics in 2021
- Campaign Monitor: Ultimate Email Marketing Benchmarks for 2021: By Industry and Day
- G2: 45 SMS Marketing Statistics Your Customers Wish You Knew
- VentureBeat: Why businesses can’t ignore SMS (Hint: 90% of people read a text message within the first 3 minutes)
- Spam Laws: Spam Statistics and Facts
- SMS comparison: SMS Marketing Statistics 2021 For USA Businesses
- Bankmycell: June 2021 Mobile User Statistics: Discover the Number of Phones in The World & Smartphone Penetration by Country or Region
- Statista: How much time on average do you spend on your phone on a daily basis?
- Reviews.org: Cell Phone Behavior in 2021: How Obsessed Are We?
- FinancesOnline: 48 SMS Marketing Statistics You Must See: 2020/2021 Market Share Analysis & Data
- BuildFire: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know About SMS Marketing
- WebFX: How Much Does Email Marketing Cost in 2021?
- The Content Factory: How Much Does Social Media Marketing Cost?
104 79 10