Blasting Text: The Easy Guide to Launching Successful SMS Campaigns [2022 Update]
Blasting texts and SMS marketing can work wonders for your business – the click-through rate (CTR) for SMSs is 9.18% higher than any other digital communication channel. It’s also popular with consumers and 64% of them want businesses to use SMS marketing more often!
In many ways, SMS marketing and blasting texts is the holy grail of direct to consumer communication.
Consumers view it positively, and 82% open very text they receive. It is a direct line from you to them, in real time, the CTR is unparalleled and the costs are minimal.
So, how do you do SMS marketing and text blasting right? What goes into a successful campaign? And which tools are the best blasting SMS tools to use?
Today, we’re covering just that: what SMS blasting is, the benefits, how to grow your SMS list, how to run a successful SMS campaign, and a quick review of the best blasting SMS software tools to use.
Let’s dive right in!
Quick Comparison – Best SMS Blasting Software Tools
Best Text Blasting Software
Our P2P Rating
What is an SMS or Text Blast?
A Short Message Service (SMS) blast is a short text message sent to a group of receivers at the same time. The group can be as large or small as needed, from a handful of people to thousands of people.
In marketing, SMS blasting is usually used to alert people of an upcoming sale or promotional offer. However, text blasts can be used for any communication that needs to be direct, immediate and short.
In addition to promotions, Text blasts are often used for things like sending customers a discount coupon code, reminding clients of upcoming appointments or sending out important notifications to members or staff.
Text blasts form a crucial part of SMS marketing, which is one of the simplest and most successful marketing channels available to businesses of all sizes, in all industries.
Take a look at this video by Adam Erhart for some great blasting text strategies:
Why Use Blasting SMS Marketing? The Benefits of Text Blasting
SMS blasting and SMS marketing as a whole are often overlooked, in favor of more modern channels like social media.
However, there are some major benefits to using SMS for your marketing communication. Let’s take a look at the most important ones:
1.SMS Open Rates Are High
If you think email open rates are high (18%), think again. The average open rate for SMS marketing campaigns is 98%, which completely blows email marketing campaigns out of the park. SMS campaigns also cost considerably less, which means they provide a great return on investment (ROI).
While 90% of consumers read an SMS within 3 minutes of receiving it, 45% of emails are sent to the spam folder. SMS open rates aren’t higher than only emails. SMS Comparison confirms that consumers are more likely to open texts over any other messaging medium.
2.Immediate and Direct Marketing Channel
As almost 5 million people own mobile phones worldwide and 82% of consumers open every text they receive, blasting text marketing is a direct way to communicate with your customers. 46% of people spend 5-6 hours on their phones daily, proving that using blasting texts as a marketing channel is worth the time and investment.
Plus, 80% of Americans have to check their phones first thing in the morning. All these statistics boil down to one thing: if your business uses blasting text marketing, your consumers will undoubtedly see your marketing material. And not only will they eventually see your material, but the interaction will be immediate and highly accessible.
3.Mobile-friendly Marketing Method
By using SMS marketing and text blasts, you’re tapping directly into all the benefits of mobile marking. More and more consumers want businesses to communicate with them directly, through mobile-friendly methods.
Among app notifications, email marketing, and direct mail, 48% of consumers prefer SMS communication. The same report confirms that 83% of US teens prefer text communication more than ANY kind of communication, including social media.
But here’s the thing, why do consumers prefer SMS marketing so much more than other marketing mediums? It’s simply because consumers are always on their phones, and they want mobile-friendly marketing efforts to accommodate that.
4.Cost-effective Marketing Channel
The most it may cost to run an SMS marketing campaign is around $500 per month. And that’s assuming you’ve chosen a plan with all the bells and whistles. However, for an email marketing campaign, your costs can quickly reach twice that at around $1000 per month.
SMS marketing is also a lot cheaper than social media marketing. The industry average for the cost of social media marketing ranges from around $4000 to $7000 per month. Essentially, your businesses can save a lot of money by using SMS marketing and text blasts, and it may be much easier to reach your desired ROI.
TLDR? The Most Important Benefits of Text Blasting Campaigns Are:
- High open rates – as high as 98%, compared to 18% for email campaigns
- Inherently mobile-friendly – 82% of users ready every text they receive
- Direct and immediate marketing channel – people receive texts personally, in real-time
- Cost-effective – on average, SMS campaigns cost around 50% less than email campaigns
How to Grow Your SMS List – 10 Tips to Gain New Subscribers
If you want your SMS marketing campaign to generate profit, grow your SMS list constantly.
At first, this might be a hassle, and you’ll find mediums that don’t work for you and some that do. To give you a head start, here some tips to grow your SMS list:
- Use an incentive your consumers can’t decline: To optimize your SMS blasting list, offer your audience an irresistible reward for joining. You can do this through discounts, freebies, or coupons. Your reward must be something valuable to your audience for them to act on it.
- Add an SMS sign-up option on your checkout page: Catch your audience right before they check out through an SMS opt-in feature on your checkout page. Include information about what customers can expect from signing up to your SMS list and reassure them that they won’t be spammed and their data will be secure.
- Promote your SMS list on your landing pages: Use popups, slide-ins, or footer ads to promote your SMS list.
- Use loyalty and referral programs: Loyalty programs and referral programs are a great way to engage your customers, again new leads and get relevant people onto your SMS list. Offer incentives to customers for their referrals and repeat purchases when they sign-up for the SMS list and refer a friend.
- Promote your SMS list through live events (online and offline): Hosting live events and promoting your SMS list at the same time is a great way to engage your customers, network and capture qualified contacts for your SMS list. In a B2B context, webinars are hugely popular and highly effective.
- Add an SMS list opt-in to all your existing marketing channels: Promote your SMS list on every active marketing channel you use and provide an easy way to opt-in. Remember to highlight the benefits/rewards of opting-in and what the immediate incentive or reward is.
- Create urgency around your CTA: People are more likely to act on an offer when there’s urgency around it. Offer the first 10 or 20 people an exclusive offer for joining your SMS list, or use a countdown timer to encourage people to act immediately.
- Run a challenge or contest: Whether you host a social media contest or run a contest through your website, it’s a fantastic way to gain leads for your SMS list. Incorporate urgency and an irresistible incentive in your contest.
- Target existing customers in person: Hand out flyers or have an ‘entry box’ for new sign-ups in your brick and mortar locations.
- Segment your audience and add personalization: Segment your audience based on their preferences and use personalized marketing methods for each group in terms of the incentives offered and the ways in which you reach them to sign-up for your SMS list.
7 Steps to Launch a Successful Text Blasting Campaign
Like any marketing campaign, an SMS blasting campaign needs to be carefully planned and executed to be effective. Luckily, SMS campaigns are some of the easiest to plan and manage!
Here are 7 steps to take for a successful text blasting campaign that reaches the right people, at the right time, and drives high conversion rates:
1.Define Your Business Objective
Before launching your text blasting campaign, you need to be clear about your business’s aim. Starting with this makes it easier to direct your text blasting campaign, identify your ideal buyers and brainstorm a CTA.
For starters, choose one primary objective you want to achieve from your text blasting campaign. For example, multiplying your sales, raising brand awareness, or securing loyal consumers.
When choosing your goal, ensure it’s SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-bound). Communicate your goals to your entire team, so you are all working in the same direction.
2.Establish Your Audience
Be clear about the type of consumer you’re hoping to add to your SMS list. Be specific about this to determine which marketing methods to use. If you have various ideal buyers in mind, segment your audience and use the appropriate marketing methods for each group.
Establishing your audience will be simple through understanding them. Use surveys and quizzes to broaden your understanding of what your consumers want from your business. This will help you establish your audience and increase customer appreciation too.
3.Choose the Best SMS Marketing Software for Your Business
After establishing your audience, you need to choose the SMS marketing software for your text blasting campaign. Choosing the best SMS marketing software can be tricky, so refer to our list above on how to evaluate SMS marketing software for your business.
4.Create an Encouraging CTA
Brainstorm an exciting CTA that’s ought to persuade your audience to join your SMS list. Your CTA should be clear, concise, and engaging. Use bold, large text as your CTA and place it on a visible section of your website. You can also promote your CTA through social media.
5.Create Short but Sweet Text Messages
For the text message content for your text blasting campaign, ensure your content is flawless. If content writing is not your area of expertise, you can hire freelance content writers to get this done for you.
If you decide to curate your own text messages, ensure they are concise and to the point. Your text messages must also be captivating and include a clear CTA. To get through to your audience, you can include slang words and emojis too.
6.Develop a Schedule for Sending Text Messages
The time you send your text messages is vital as you need your recipients to see them. Send messages before 9 am and after 9 pm, as most consumers don’t work during those times. Run a few tests to determine the best time to send your text messages.
7.Track and Analyze your SMS Marketing
Tracking and analyzing your text blasting campaign is essential to ensure you’re accomplishing your aim. Track vital metrics to determine whether you need to ramp up your marketing efforts or if you’re on the right track.
Here are a Few Metrics to Track for a Text Blasting Campaign:
- Subscriber growth rate: This is how many subscribers you’re gaining for your SMS list. Track this rate weekly and identify which marketing efforts are accelerating your subscriber growth rate.
- Subscriber churn rate: This rate describes how many subscribers are opting out of your text blasting campaign. You should keep your churn rate below 2%-3%.
- Redemption rate: This metric is how many consumers redeem your offers. If this rate is low, consider changing your incentive.
- Cost per redeeming rate: How much does it cost per customer that redeems your offers? Determining this will help you reveal your profitability.
- CTR: Your CTR describes how many consumers click on the link in your text messages to get to your desired action.
- Conversion rate: Your conversion rate is how many consumers not only click on your text message but complete your desire action.
How We Evaluated the Best Text Blasting Services & How to Choose the Best One For Your Needs
When it comes to text blast apps and services, there are many, many options to choose from! It can be challenging to extract which are the best, so, make it easier, we have reviewed dozens of options and selected the best ones to feature here.
We chose them based on:
- Pricing and value-for-money
- Reviews and ratings from real-life users
- Our own experience using the software
- Level of support offered by the provider
All the SMS blasting tools we have featured here are great options. So, how do you select the best one for your unique needs? Here are some tips to help you make the best choice:
How to Pick the Best Text Blast Services for Your Needs
Most SMS marketing software offers month-to-month subscriptions, but you’re still committing to one software and it is important to choose the best option for your unique needs.
To make the right choice, consider the following when you’re evaluating and comparing tools:
- Usability: How simple and straight forward it it to use the software? Is the interface intuitive? Most SMS sending tools are pretty simple and straightforward to use but they’re not all made equal!
- Integrations: Can the SMS software integrate with the other tools in your stack, such as your CRM, email sending tools, calendars and planning tools?
- Customer support: Ideally, customer service should be quick, knowledgeable and available 24/7, or at least available during working hours in your time zone.
- How easy it is for consumers to sign-up? A good SMS marketing tool will have sign-up solutions that are quick and easy for your subscribers, and also gather enough demographic information to be able to accurately segment your list.
- Tracking and reporting: Accurate tracking and easy to view and understand reports are critical for campaign success. You should view your performance clearly, and ideally, your SMS software should have real-time analytics.
- Data security: Through SMS marketing, you will collect sensitive personal and contact information from your consumers. The SMS platform you choose must support PCI 1 level security, which is the same security for processing credit card payments. Conduct a security audit of your own to ensure the SMS platform has sufficient data security.
- Fit for your industry and niche: Check the vendor’s portfolio to see if others in your industry and niche, with similar needs to yours, are using the software.
- Scalability: Ensure that the SMS software you choose has the capability to scale and grow with your needs (and that it will still be affordable at higher send volumes than you need right now).
4 Best Text Blasting Software
You that know how to launch a blasting text campaign and how to choose the best SMS blasting software for your SMS marketing campaigns, let’s review the top SMS blasting tools to use:
MobileMonkey is all about dynamic, engaging mobile chatbots and helps agencies, in-house marketers, brands, and influencers develop successful blasting SMS campaigns. This SMS software allows you to market through Facebook Messenger, Instagram, web chat, SMS, omnichat, and Agency. MobileMonkey integrates with Zapier, allowing you to connect it to thousands of other apps and programs.
B2C businesses can use MobileMonkey’s advanced SMBots to provide their consumers with 24/7, live support. And the Instagram features enable automatic responses to customer queries and tools that reward users for interacting with your brand. Plus, MobileMonkey’s own chatbot-OmniChat offers a multi-platform chatbot builder, instant communication, and a unified chat inbox.
- Google Sheets
- Free plan/trial
- Custom pricing – contact MobileMonkey for a quotation.
SimpleTexting is an SMS marketing tool that offers an intuitive dashboard with everything you need right at your fingertips. You can send personalized blasting texts with pictures and other media forms. SimpleTexting offers two-way conversations, to communicate in real-time with your leads and customers.
Businesses can also track CTR’s, subscriber rates, and delivery rates. SimpleTexting also allows you to segment consumers, schedule texts, and create autoresponders. You can also create automated birthday messages, recurring campaigns, extended texts, and tiny links. Many popular brands like Starbucks, SAMSUNG, and Lego have all used SimpleTexting.
- SMS API
- And many, many more
- Free 14 day trial
- Fixed price plans (500 to 50 000 credits pm) start at $29/month
- Custom plans (more than 50 000 credits pm)
As an SMS marketing software ideal for experienced marketers, ClickSend offers robust features for blasting SMS campaigns. Users enjoy real-time tracking with the ability to send 4800 messages per minute and draft text messages for up to 1224 characters. You can send customized messages to any country, and ClickSend handles all your opt-outs.
ClickSend offers 24/7 customer support, and you can set reminders and schedule automated text messages too. You can also add security features like 2-step verification and one-time passwords.
- And more!
- For under 2000 messages, the pricing starts at $0.0206 per text.
TextMagic allows brands to send texts online, convert texts to emails and schedule messages. It’s also possible to manage your opt-outs, use SMS templates, personalize text messages and create SMS surveys. You can export valuable data too, like your CTR rates, conversion rates, and delivery rates.
This SMS marketing software has worked with clients of all kinds like QiQ, MaidPro, SDL, and Fylde Property. TextMagic also has two-factor authentication and a carrier lookup function for your text blasting campaign.
- MMS, text messages and carrier lookup in the US is $0.040 per MMS, text, and lookup.
Final Thoughts on Blasting SMS Marketing
Blasting SMS marketing is a fantastic medium to communicate with your consumers. Not only do consumers want brands to message them more, but texts have higher open rates than emails. And most people check every single one of their texts!
Choosing the best SMS marketing software for your text blasting campaign and growing your SMS list is effortless through this guide. You have all the information to launch a victorious text blasting campaign and 4 of the best SMS marketing software to pick from.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a text blast?
Text blasting is when businesses send a large mass of recipients a text at the same time. While retail industries mostly use text blasting to send their consumers promotions and sales information, other industries use text blasting too. Read this article to find out why text blasting works, how to launch a blasting SMS campaign, and the top four SMS marketing software for text blasting.
What are the top text blasting services?
The top four text blasting services of 2022 are MobileMonkey, SimpleTexting, ClickSend, and TextMagic. Read this article to find out why these platforms are the best SMS blasting services in 2022, and how to choose the best platform for your business.
How do you start a blasting SMS campaign?
To start a blasting SMS campaign, you need to define your objectives. Then you need to establish your audience, brainstorm a captivating CTA and develop your text content. To find out more about launching a successful blasting SMS campaign, how to choose the best SMS marketing software, and the top SMS marketing software for 2022, read this article.
Techjury: 35+ Must-Know SMS Marketing Statistics
Campaign Monitor: Ultimate Email Marketing Benchmarks: By Industry and Day
Spam Laws: Spam Statistics and Facts
SMS Comparison: SMS Marketing Statistics for USA Businesses
Reviews.org: Cell Phone Behavior: How Obsessed Are We?
The Content Factory: How Much Does Social Media Marketing Cost?