The 12 Best Push Notification Services and Tools in 2022 [Full Review]
High cart abandonment and churn rates with low conversion rates are detrimental to a business.
But combating this using a non-intrusive method like popups can be challenging.
That’s why push notification services are what we’re going to discuss today.
We can use push notifications for various purposes. Around 83% of businesses use push notifications for announcing new promotions, while almost 17% use these notifications to welcome new subscribers. As push notifications have a higher deliverability rate than email by 50% and a higher click rate (7%), it’s no surprise why businesses use them.
Ready to learn about the benefits of push notifications, how to choose the top push notification service for your business, and the best push notification services in 2022? Let’s dive into this!
Why use Push Notification?
Whether you want to build brand loyalty or keep your audience invested in your business, push notifications have a vast range of advantages. A few of these advantages include increasing user engagement and conversion rates, seamlessly targeting your ideal buyer, and retaining your users.
Here are the top benefits of using push notifications.
Optimize User Engagement
Push notifications are a non-intrusive way to get right in front of your consumers. Through advanced push notification features and personalization, you can engage users and persuade them to take your desired action.
According to Invesp, push notifications increase app engagement by 88%. The same report confirms that 65% of users revert to an app within 30 days when push notifications are enabled. It’s safe to say that consumers prefer push notifications as a less invasive marketing medium.
Targeting Your Ideal Buyer is Easier
For push notifications, users must enable certain features like permission to track their location or access specific data. This data, especially location information, makes targeting your ideal buyer easier.
You will have a clearer understanding of the demographics of your ideal buyers, so you can create a customer-centric strategy for push notifications that apply to them. Businesses can also send push notifications when their target buyer is in a specific location.
Increase Your Conversion Rates
This might be the most obvious result of push notification services, but it’s undoubtedly worth mentioning. Perhaps your business is like how Bollywood Kart was-your cart abandonment rate is terribly low. To combat this, Bollywood Kart implemented push notifications and their CTR for cart abandonment increased by 10%!
Whether your goal is re-engagement, retention, or increasing your open rates, push notifications can help you.
Retain and Re-engage Users
If you notice a drop in interest among your users, this is a cause for concern. Fortunately, Localytics found that with push notifications, app retention is around 39%. However, broadcasting messages have a retention rate of 21%.
Furthermore, a report by Urban Airship confirms that users who receive daily push notifications have 3-6x higher app retention rates than users who don’t receive push notifications. Weekly push notifications have a 2-5x higher app retention rate.
How to Choose Push Notification Services
For choosing push notification services, you have tonnes of options at your disposal. Below are the top 10 tips for choosing a push notification service.
- Your planned volume of messages/recipients: Further below, you’ll notice that some push notification services charge per message or have a cap on the messages/recipients you can send/have for each plan. To avoid choosing the wrong plan estimate the volume of notifications you’ll be sending and the recipients you’ll have. Find a plan that comfortably accommodates those numbers.
- Your planned volume of simultaneous push notifications: Like your planned volume of messages and recipients, how many messages you want to send simultaneously is crucial. Some push notification services like Batch offer faster delivery speeds as the plans increase. If you know you’ll need to send hundreds or thousands of messages simultaneously, choose a push notification service that can power this.
- The segmentation capabilities: Some push notification services focus on advanced segmentation functions, whereas others offer a simple segmentation feature. You need to evaluate how indispensable segmentation is to your brand and product and find a push notification service that delivers matching capabilities.
- The personalization options: You want your push notifications to drive customer appreciation, stand out from others and leave a mark in users’ minds. However, this might not be as much of a necessity for some businesses. Find out how much personalization a push notification service allows and if that works for your business.
- The advanced features available: Advanced features like geo-targeting, automation, media content (GIFs, images, videos, etc.), and interactive elements enhance your push notifications. But you might only need one of those advanced features rather than all of them. Either way, determine if you need these features and choose a push notification service that offers them.
- The way the plans are priced and how much they cost: You’ll find that many push notification services offer tiered plans while others charge you per notification or batch of subscribers. Determine which of these plans work better for you and if you can afford it. You want to multiply your profits through push notifications, so don’t choose a service that will cut too much into your bottom line.
- The user-level data you want access to: Among push notification services, the analytics tools, and functions are very similar. Yet, it’s a great idea to determine what your key performance indicators (KPIs) are and if the push notification service you choose offers clear, in-depth tracking of those KPIs.
- If there is any comprehensive documentation available: Choose a push notification service with detailed documentation on how to set up the platform and troubleshoot for solutions. Without comprehensive documentation, you might find it difficult to use the software and ease any friction.
- If the services support cross-platform functions: Even if you’re sticking to web browser push notifications, you need a platform that can support cross-platform functions too. So, if you ever decide to become mobile-adaptive, you don’t have to switch push notification services.
- If the platform is easy to use and navigate: An intuitive, effortless push notification service platform is key. Choosing a push notification service like this will save you time and effort as you won’t need to contact customer support constantly or sift through documentation. To determine whether a push notification service fulfills this, try a demo before purchasing it.
12 Best Push Notification Services
So you can get the ball rolling for your push notification strategy, we’ve rounded up the top 12 push notification services in 2022.
Specializing in push notifications for web browsers and mobile devices, PushAssist has powered over 14 000 websites and digital stores globally. This software is easy to configure, allows multi-channel messaging, and offers real-time tracking.
Users can schedule push notifications, personalize messages, and segment their audience. PushAssist also collects consumer data to create actionable insights for your business.
- Magneto 2
- Free plan is available
- Starter plan is from $9 p/m
- Business plan is from $25 p/m
- Elite plan is from $299 p/m
- There is a free plan available.
- The plans increase based on subscriber growth, meaning this software can grow with your business.
- There are sufficient features in the free and lower-end plans.
- The elite plan may be too expensive for most small businesses.
- There are not so many integration options compared to most other push notification software.
- Businesses can’t conduct anything else besides push notifications.
Having PushEngage as their push notifications software, businesses can segment their consumers and send them highly customizable push notifications. You can determine the timing, screen placement, images, call-to-action (CTA) button style, and title texts. Plus, you can maintain your conversions by setting automated cart abandonment push notifications.
There is also a feature to set goals and analyze your performance. You can send offline push notifications too, set up automated drip campaigns, and use a custom domain.
- Google Analytics
- A free plan is available.
- Business plan is $9 p/m
- Premium plan is $29 p/m
- Contact PushEngage for a quote on the Enterprise plan
- A free plan is available, and the priced plans are affordable.
- There are many integration options with frequently used tools and software.
- PushEngage has an impressive toolkit focusing primarily on push notification services.
- Users have endless customization functions to create personalized push notifications.
- Unlike most push notification software, this one allows users to send offline notifications.
- PushEngage lacks integrations with social media and invoicing software.
- This software is not ideal if you want extra bells and whistles besides push notification functions.
SendPulse provides push notifications compatible with mobile devices and web browsers. You can create custom subscriber requests, use push notification automation and create segmented lists. There is also an A/B testing feature available for push notifications.
You can also execute much more than push notifications with SendPulse. Brands can create email and SMS campaigns, manage their CRM, build chatbots and create landing pages.
- WordPress Email Marketing Automation Plugin
- Free plan is available.
- Pro plan starts from $19 p/m
- There is a free plan available, and the paid plan is affordable.
- They base the paid plan on your number of subscribers. So this software can accommodate every stage of your business’s growth.
- SendPulse has a great variety of integration options.
- SendPulse doesn’t offer many advanced features in the free plan.
- There are only two plans available, and this doesn’t give businesses much choice.
- When you gain above 75,000 subscribers, the pricing increases drastically.
OneSignal offers push notification services for mobile and web browsers. You can create personalized push notifications for segmented consumer groups and track your analytics. This push notification software also allows users to conduct A/B testing.
For mobile, you can send user messages, transactional notifications, conversion-driven messages, promotions, and updates. The push notifications available for web browsers include abandoned cart reminders, announcements, mentions, followers, and new blog posts.
The impressive aspect of OneSignal is that you can also create emails, SMSes, and in-app messages to maintain engagement.
- Google Analytics
- WordPress VIP
- A free plan is available
- Growth plan from $9 p/m
- Professional plan from $99 p/m
- Contact OneSignal for a quote on the Enterprise plan
- OneSignal offers a free plan, and the priced plans are affordable.
- Users can integrate various platforms with OneSignal.
- This push notification service supports web browsers and mobile devices.
- Businesses have everything they need for push notifications and overall communication.
- This platform may be excessive for brands looking for push notification services only.
With Aimtell, businesses can use advanced segmenting, scheduled notifications, custom templates, automated notifications, and webhooks. You can also conduct A/B testing, track your vital metrics, set goals, and add unlimited websites. Aimtell provides more features like expiring notifications, emojis, dynamic notifications, and custom branding too.
Users can add and remove team members, add welcome push notifications, and customize the opt-in forms. To increase your push notification performance, you can add large images and have notifications appear based on time zones. Businesses have 100% control and ownership over their subscribers’ data.
- Free 14-day trial is available.
- Basic plan is $49 p/m
- Plus plan is $99 p/m
- Pro plan is $199 p/m
- Contact Aimtell for a quote on the Enterprise plan
- A free trial is available.
- Aimtell offers an extensive list of integrations for this software.
- Businesses will find everything they need for successful push notifications.
- Aimtell adds more focus to push notifications solely.
- You will have complete ownership and control of subscriber data.
- Lacks native integrations for invoicing and location software.
- Pricing can be expensive for some businesses.
- Businesses will only find push notification services from this platform.
Kumulos offers push notification services for web browsers and mobile apps. For mobile apps, you can segment consumers, use geo-targeting, automate interactions triggered by in-app actions and perform A/B testing. You can also rebrand Kumulos for your business and team.
This easy-to-use platform gives you the same functions for web browser push notifications, except you can’t use geo-targeting. However, users can rely on easy opt-outs for web browser consumers. Besides push notifications, Kumulos also offers App Store Optimization (ASO), analytics, crash reporting, and API endpoint monitoring.
- New Relic
- Cotham Technologies
- Free 30-day free trial available.
- Startup plan (contact for price)
- Enterprise plan (contact for price)
- Agency plan (contact for price)
- A free trial is available, and it is longer than most free trials.
- Kumulos has tonnes of advanced features for mobile and browser push notifications.
- Geo-targeting can help you create or change your ideal buyer personas and give you more insight into your audience’s preferences.
- Not much other software allows you to rebrand the console as Kumulos does.
- Businesses have a fully furnished toolkit for push notifications.
- Kumulos’ prices aren’t readily available without contacting them.
- Lacks integration with social media platforms, invoicing services, CRM software, and many common, well-known brands.
Pushwoosh offers push notifications for mobile devices and web browsers. You can use images, GIFs, videos, and other forms of media in your push notifications, and you can insert deeplinks in your messages.
Users can perform A/B testing for optimal results and segment their consumers based on user information. Pushwoosh enables you to stand out from the crowd through dynamic content and in-depth analytics.
- Google Analytics
- PhoneGap Build
- Unreal Engine
- Appcelerator Titanium
- Adobe AIR
- React Native
- Developer plan (contact for price)
- Marketing plan (contact for price)
- Custom plan (contact for price)
- Pushwoosh has many integration options.
- Users can find more than only push notification services like automated email marketing, in-app messaging, and life cycle marketing features.
- You can use push notifications for mobile devices and web browsers.
- Pushwoosh allows you to use more captivating content elements to keep your audience engaged.
- The prices aren’t readily available without contacting Pushwoosh.
- There aren’t many customizing options available.
- Specific information about Pushwoosh is not made clear on their website.
Offering push notification services for web browsers and mobile devices, PushBots primarily focuses on push notification functions. For mobile devices, PushBots give you an overview of your audience’s demographics. You can send targeted content too. Businesses can also rely on PushBots’ advanced AI to deliver notifications at the perfect time.
You can use geo-location features for web browser push notifications, and you can install PushBots on multiple websites. It’s also possible to track your progress and analyze the in-depth, intuitive statistics PushBots prepares.
- Lite plan is $29 p/m
- Basic plan is $49 p/m
- Plus plan is $129 p/m
- Ultimate plan is $249 p/m
- Contact PushBots for a quote on the Enterprise plan
- Besides push notification services, you can conduct and manage polls and in-app messages.
- For web browser push notifications, you can send as many notifications as you like.
- There are more than enough paid plan options to accommodate various businesses.
- Businesses will find all the push notification functions they need in this software.
- The pricing is affordable, and businesses can choose a customized plan, only offering what they need.
- PushBots gives you a report of your consumers’ demographics and your statistics.
- There is no free plan or free trial available.
- Users cannot manage email marketing from this platform, only in-app messaging, polls, and push notifications.
- PushBot lacks sufficient integration options.
Catapush specializes in push notifications. This platform ensures your push notifications are delivered, and you can track your notifications in real-time. For every message sent, delivered, and read, Catapush will send you time stamps. There is also end-to-end encryption support to keep your consumers’ data secured.
Catapush allows you ample personalization in your push notifications. Users can use SMS fallback support too. SMS fallback support is to reach your audience offline.
- React Native
- A free 12-month trial is available
- Pro plan is €0.02 (approx. $0,024) per notification, per month
- Contact Catapush for a quote on the Enterprise plan
- A free trial is available, which gives businesses more than enough time to try Catapush.
- Catapush enables real-time push notifications and performance tracking.
- Businesses can use SMS fallback, a feature not common among push notification software.
- This software is ideal if you only need push notification services.
- There are very few integration options available, and the integrations aren’t common tools.
- They base the pricing plan on per notification, and this can easily rack up a large bill at the end of the month.
- There aren’t many plans to give businesses enough options.
Real-time communication, dynamic segmentation, customized CTA buttons, and A/B testing are all a few features by PushAlert. You can also create welcome push notifications, scheduled push notifications, and a mobile-optimized RSS push page.
To maintain your conversion rates, you can send cart abandonment and in-stock push notifications. Businesses can also send price-drop push notifications and shipment alerts. PushAlert offers in-depth tracking too and geo-analytics.
- Free 15-day trial is available
- Free plan is available
- Basic plan starts from $12 p/m
- Premium plan starts at $39 p/m
- Platinum plan starts from $69 p/m
- There is a free trial and a free plan available.
- The paid plans for PushAlert are affordable.
- Businesses can enjoy what they need in push notification services.
- PushAlert offers refined features, and the tracking functions are comprehensive.
- There aren’t many integration options available.
- Businesses can’t access any other communication functions besides push notification services.
Batch offers push notification services for web browsers and mobile devices. The web push notification services include custom opt-in formats, deeplinks, action buttons, images, and segmentation. Mobile push notifications cover A/B testing, deeplinks, images, GIFs, action buttons, and an emoji library.
In addition to the push notification services, Batch also offers advanced tracking, segmentation, and security functions.
- Google Analytics
- AT Internet
- Adobe Campaign Classic
- Adobe Audience Manager
- Commanders Act
- Firebase Analytics
- Go and Up
- Google Tag Manager
- Mobile push notifications:
- Free plan is available
- Developer plan is €245 (approx. $297) p/m
- Startup plan is €495 (approx. $600) p/m
- Business plan is €795 (approx. $963) p/m
- Contact Batch for a quote on the Enterprise plan
- Web browser push notifications:
- Free plan is available
- Startup plan is €495 (approx. $600) p/m
- Contact Batch for a quote on the Business plan
- There is a reasonable number of possible integrations
- The two separate plans for mobile and web browser push notifications may convenience brand’s that only want one of these services.
- There are free plans available for both mobile and web browser push notifications.
- Batch offers ample plans for mobile notifications, giving businesses more variety.
- The integration options aren’t available for commonly used tools and software.
- You have to sign up for two unique plans for mobile and web browser push notifications.
- The prices aren’t affordable for small businesses.
- For web browser push notifications, the pricing plans are limited.
This push notification software offers services for mobile and web browser push notifications and in-app messaging. You will get your analytics and tracking data in real-time, and you can set behavioral or time-based automation.
Users can create custom categories for segmenting consumers, and they have room to personalize push notifications. Wonderpush focuses only on providing high-quality, reliable push notification services.
- Google Tag Manager
- Apache Cordova
- Free 14-day trial available
- Pricing starts at €1 (approx. $1.21) p/m. For every 1000 subscribers, your plan will increase by €1.
- There is a free trial available, and the paid plan is not very expensive.
- As they base the paid plan on your subscriber count, you still have access to advanced features throughout your journey with Wonderpush.
- There is a sufficient amount of integrations available, and many of the apps are well-known.
- Wonderpush is the ideal option for brands looking for refined push notification services only.
- The dashboard and user interface could be more visually stimulating.
- This is not a brilliant choice for businesses who want more communication services in SMS marketing software.
Our Picks & the Conclusion
Push notifications can help you stimulate user engagement, easily target your ideal buyer, increase your conversion rates and retain users. For a successful push notification strategy, evaluate push notification services according to our top 10 tips.
For small businesses, our top push notification service is PushEngage. This push notification service has a great number of integration options for an affordable price. You can create high-converting push notifications through PushEnagage while not paying for features small businesses don’t need.
OneSignal is our top pick for medium-sized businesses that need push notification services. You can execute various communication methods to engage with your consumers while paying less than most advanced push notification services. There are also more than enough integration options and types of push notifications you can create.
Push notifications are a fantastic form of brand-to-consumer communication. So, don’t miss out on what push notifications can do for your business and build a strategy today!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best push notification service?
In 2022, a few of the best push notification services include OneSignal, Aimtell, Pushwoosh, and PushEngage. The best push notification service depends on what your business needs. Read this full article for all the details on the top 12 push notification services in 2022, how to choose a push notification service for your business, and much more!
How does a push notification work?
A push notification is a subtle popup on web browsers and mobile devices. Users don't have to access apps to receive these notifications, and you can set them according to your preferences. There are various types of push notifications you can use for your business. Read our article for all the information on push notification services, the top push notification services for 2022, and why you should use push notifications.
How much do push notifications cost?
Push notifications vary in price according to the push notification service you choose. This article has the top push notification services, how much they cost, and the pros and cons of each. Plus, you can find out how to choose the best push notification service for your business and why push notifications are a valuable investment for every business.
References and Sources
- Magenest: Interesting Facts About Web Push Notifications Statistics
- e-goi: Infographic: Push Notification Statistics that will Surprise You
- Invesp: Mobile App Push Notifications Impact – Statistics and Trends
- PushEngage: How these 8 online sites improved conversions and traffic using Push Notification
- BusinessofApps: Push Notifications Statistics (2019)
- Urban Airship: How Push Notifications Impact Mobile App Retention Rates